So the league began and we were all eager to see our new and improved Manchester United take to the field and display what our new recruits could do. A much anticipated match, to say the least. I thought United would get the win but not through an own goal. There are 4 key points that the match produced:
- Smalling is looking like a leader at the back:
- Smalling was able to keep Kane quiet the whole match with an outstanding performance. He showed leadership qualities by making himself heard and making well timed tackles. Hopefully he will carry on with this form.
- The new signings need time to gel:
- Darmian, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Romero and Schneiderlin all made their official United debuts but I feel that they need more time to adapt to the pace of the premier league. Darmian was wonderful to watch and Depay eventually settled into the game but I didn’t seen the domination and flow in the midfield that was expected.
- Depay needs a chance on the wing:
- Ashley Young has been bossing it on the wing since last season and has shown tremendous fight to rejuvenate his United career but I would like to see Depay get a chance to terrorize the left side with his speed and agility.
- Our defense needs dealing with….NOW:
- Smalling, Darmian and Shaw all looked lively at the back but Blind seemed to be uncomfortable. For too long united fans have been begging for a leader in the back ever since Vidic left. Jones is currently out for 3 weeks and Evans cannot seem to make an impact and Rojo needs some game time to help him become match fit.
I want to see attacking football in out next match and Depay and Rooney leaving goalkeepers helpless. I have a feeling the the best is yet to come for United.